Whether you are a planner or a pantser (writing terms for someone who plans their stories before writing and one who writes without a plan, i.e. by the seat of their pants), goal-setting is a key practice to establishing a threshold of success in anything we do in life.
Without goals, large or small, how can we know if we are making headway toward what we have named as important, whether it be related to small projects or our life’s vision, which is to say, our highest aspirational plan for our future?
The process of choosing a goal to work toward is a defining and evaluative process that helps clarify what makes this endeavor worth the effort.
Our goals are key steps in the all-encompassing work of manifesting our highest vision of our lives. In simple terms, our goals help keep us on track with what we deem to be most important in our lives. We achieve this work through the daily action we take that aligns us with our values and vision.
Goals are stakes in the ground, like signposts on the trail that help us orient ourselves between the task at hand and the reason we’re doing it.
Our goals connect the smaller tasks of doing work on a daily basis with our highest spiritual work of charting a purpose-driven course forward that promises fulfillment and alignment to what we hold to be most important, our values.
So you see, goal-setting is nothing short of essential to live full and fulfilling lives.
However you feel about the value of setting goals, here are my 6 tips for connecting WHAT you want to do with WHY should want to do it.
FIRST, AUDIT THE DEMANDS ON YOUR TIME & ENERGY
1. Take a moment to get clear on what you have going on this month (remember Thanksgiving's in there).
List all the happenings, yours and the family's (sports, new clients, big work event, date nights, girl trips, business meetings, etc.) you anticipate and are planning for this month. With clear expectations, you can plan accordingly to stay focused or keep your energy flowing.
PICK THREE THINGS TO SHOOT FOR & KNOW WHY THEY MATTER
2. Now name what are YOUR PRIORITIES. What are the top three things you aim to accomplish this month? List them out and answer these 4 questions/prompts for each item:
This matters because . . .
It honors my _______ value (know your values to do this part) because . . .
I may get in my own way by (list obstacles you may create for yourself) . . .
If I get stuck I will (list a hack to help you hold accountability for yourself) . . .
DEFINE SUCCESS ON YOUR TERMS
3. Define what a successful journey toward completion looks like by defining micro goals, smaller goals that fit inside of the bigger goal, to meet by the end of each week for each of the three goals.
For each micro-goal met, decide how you want to celebrate yourself. My favorite choice is a dance party to my favorite song of the moment, I Am Woman by Emmy Meli.
GUARD YOUR TIME TO ENSURE YOU CAN MEET YOUR GOALS
4. Calendar your time to work on these three initiatives. Make the time feel fun, nourishing, and comfortable and you'll keep coming back for more.
Pay attention to your biorhythms to determine the best times of day to tackle work toward y
Communicate what you need to those who can support you in meeting your goals or who
can be impediments to your ability to focus.
Use your tech to help you focus by putting your phone
BE ACCOUNTABLE TO SOMEONE
5. Share your plans with loved ones or a coach who will happily support you. Design to check in with them regularly for accountability to help you stay on track.
Be specific in sharing with an accountability partner three things:
– what you will do
– by when
– and how you will let them know
YOU WORKED HARD, TAKE TIME TO CELEBRATE
6. Let the celebration help motivate you to finish strong. By the end of the month, whether you achieved everything you set out to accomplish, celebrate what you did well. Name what you did that you are proud of and what you can do better next month. Do something that feels rewarding after all that effort and focus.
Your turn! Jot down three goals that you feel you can realistically achieve this month. Block 30-minutes on your calendar to write through the above prompts for each of the three goals. Know your why and what’s at stake. Commit wholeheartedly or not at all. Revisit your why daily as you continue to move forward on executing on your goals, your vision, your aligned life.
You got this. I got you.
Thrive with the Support of a Coach on your Team
Feeling overwhelmed between demands at work and home, and struggling to achieve the feeling of equanimity you know you need to thrive again? Reach out to schedule a complimentary clarity call to discover how personalized one-on-one coaching can help you to learn to trust your inner power for positive impact in all areas of your life. Click here to learn more and schedule a time with me.
Let’s rise together!